Sunday, November 20, 2005

West Virginia

Speed Trap

Tops List

A recent article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about the infamous Summersville, West Virgina speed trap caught my attention. Back in 1996, I fell prey to the speed trap. Of course, I was breaking the law. I was going 65 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. However, I really had been doing my best to abide by the law during my ten hour drive. The thing about the Summersville speed trap is that it falls in an area where the speed limit has just dropped from 65 to 55, so it is an easy error to make. The policeman was very courteous as he handed me my ticket.

I have been amazed at how many other people I have encountered over the years who have also been targeted by the speed trap. But I was even more amazed when I Googled Summersville and speed trap, and even yet more amazed when I learned that although Summersville has some 3,500 residents, over 18,000 speeding tickets were issued last year in Summersville.

The story in the Post-Gazette was about a businessman from Summersville who is fighting back. It was quite comedic. Next time you approach Summersville, prepare to be greeted by a sign alerting you that you are approaching the world's biggest speed trap!

No comments: