Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Email Sent to Fox News Dayside Program in reference to Remarks about Home Schooling

I sent the following email text to Fox News' Dayside program after viewing the show. Several remarks were made assuming that homeschooled children are categorically sheltered and poorly socialized. Since I do not have children and have no family members who home school, I felt as though I could remark with little prejudice.

I noticed several times on today’s show that both the hosts and guests of Dayside made remarks that indicated that the two teens involved in the double murder in Lancaster County, PA may have been involved in the crimes because they were home-schooled. Several times assumptions were made that because the teens were home-schooled they must be poorly socialized and overly sheltered. While I do not know if the two teens in question were poorly or well socialized, is it fair to link the crimes to the two being home schooled? Would you likewise categorically blame public schools when a shooting spree or other heinous crime is committed by teens who attend public school? The assumptions that home schooled children are poorly socialized and sheltered are merely lies propagated by liberal groups like the NEA (National Educators Association) to protect their own existence and who themselves want to control the shaping of the young American mind. I know many families who home school and the degrees to which they socialize their children vary. However, it is not uncommon for home schooled children to actually receive a wider variety of socialization than children who attend school and experience cultures different from their own at a younger age. I attended public school but lived a far more sheltered life and less culturally diverse life than many home schooled children. The comments made by the guests and hosts of Dayside were assumptions and reveal how little you know about home school families. Jenn Grover Pittsburgh, PA P.S. I do not have children myself and have no family members who home school. Perhaps you should consider inviting a home school expert to your show.

No comments: