Listen to
James Earl Jones
Read Lincoln's
Gettysburg Address
You can listen to James Earl Jones reading the Gettysburg Address online at Verizon Superages.
Although Lincoln is often heralded as a great advocate of the Abolitionist movement in America, it can be observed that his entry into the Civil War was for more political reason than personal convictions as to the immorality of slavery. Lincoln, did object to slavery, but was chosen by his party to run for president because he was more moderate on the issue of slavery than others in his part with stronger Abolitionist sentiment.
However, as the war progressed, it seems notable, that Lincoln himself became convinced more and more of the righteousness of ending slavery and the war became a matter of conviction to Lincoln as well.

4 comments:
I'm reading a book right now about Lincoln and the men who were running against him for the Republican nomination: Seward, Chase, and Bates. The book is "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. (All the men later became part of Lincoln's cabinet.)Interesting.
I bet it is a good book. I like Doris Kearns Goodwin. I hope she makes a documentary (maybe with Burns or McCullough) since I hate to read.
You don't hate to read. You hate to turn pages.
LOL! That's a good one - and original! (to me, anyway)
Post a Comment