Monday, November 14, 2005

A Book for

Every Public

School Library

And a Chicken

In Every Pot

I have not read this book, but the idea made me laugh. However, it is a great time for me to opine about the conceptual breakdown of liberal socialism.

Just think how liberal ideal have slowly crept into American mainstream ideology:., "A chicken in every pot, a car in every driveway." It sounds good doesn't it? Who doesn't want their neighbors to have what they both need and want? And why shouldn't we who are better off shoulder the burden?

Now don't hear what I am not saying, I believe that it is our God ordained responsibility to shoulder the burden of the less fortunate, but it is not the government's role to administrate nor impose this responsibility. Do I think people would be selfish and let others go without? Yes, I do. But, I think people tend to more selfish and less generous because they count on the government caring for the less needy. People are already bitter about what is taken from them by the government and feel no need to do more.

Secondly, I believe that if individuals and churches cared for the needy, care would extend beyond finances. If care is handled through the taxes in my payroll deduction, there is nary a second thought to those in need receiving from income. However, if I am directly connected to those receiving the benefit, I can see their physical, spiritual, and emotional needs as well, and perhaps serve them in that capacity as well.

Lastly, if government were not left as chief American philanthropist, the needy would be left with more opportunities to give back. I am not speaking mainly of financial retribution, but I am referring to being able to reciprocate generosity with generosity of spirit.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Nice opining! (is that a word?)
Ok, as Matt would say "Nice pontificating!"

JennGrover said...

I verified - opine is a verb.

Kristie said...

Oh, I had no doubt "opine" was, I was wondering about my "opining"