Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fast, Faster, FiOS Today was THE day. After checking for Verizon FiOS availability on a daily basis for three months, last week I punched in my number at the Verizon FiOS website to see that after a long wait, FiOS was finally available in my part of Mt. Lebo. As an employee, I had the opportunity to tag along with Fiber tech, Mike to observe the installation from start to finish. Mike did fantastic work with both jobs he completed today (the first job was for my friend Nate's new place, and mine was the second). I spent about ten hours in all with Mike. These Verizon Fiber techs do great work and take pride in delivering quality service to Verizon customers. As for the FiOS, I have chosen to start with the 5/2 speed, but may well upgrade to the 15/4 speed. I want to give the 5/2 a chance to work first. After programming the free D-Link router, I plugged in my wireless Lynksis G router and everything was good to go. I am hanging on the the D-Link in case I need it for troubleshooting down the road. Mike verfied the connection speed at Bandwitdthplace and we found that I was actually connecting at 5.3! Fantastic! I mainly notice the difference for downloads and streaming media. Movie trailers are awesome. Enthusiasm is building among both employees and customers for Verizon's next great FiOS product, FiOS TV. Stay tuned!

No comments: