Tuesday, April 25, 2006

2006 Hurricane Season

After last year's record setting Atlantic Hurricane season, it is now time to turn our attention towards the 2006 season. Monster category 5 cyclone Monica, which has been bearing down on Australia, reminded me we aren't far from more storm excitement. The meteorologists have ready been warning us to be prepared for a major northeast hurricane strike. Why is someone from as far inland as Pittsburgh care about hurricanes (aside from my normal fascination with weather)? I believe that Pittsburgh will likely see some major flooding from this year's season. Why? This year's dry winter followed by near drought conditions in the spring have set the stage for hard, dry soil unable to absorb rapid rainfall accumulation. This is a very similar situation to the 2004 flooding that occurred with the remnants of tropical storm Ivan. With Chuck and Bethany living just far enough inland, I plan to head to the coast if NJ is in the path of such a storm.

1 comment:

Bubs said...

Sorry, I'm confused. Do you plan to go towards the storm if there is one?

(as they say in blogger word verification land: xyythkev!)