Sunday, February 19, 2006

Extreme (Not Really) Kitchen Makeover

I love the charm of my retro "upgraded" 1950's kitchen (my house was built in 1929). I love the little cupboard where the milkman used to leave fresh milk, the fold-out ironing board and table, the chute for the incinerator, and even the old metal Geneva cabinets.

The Problem: Notice the range in the above picture. It might not seem small, but it is very small. It is 20" to be exact. I cannot turn a cookie sheet sideways. Worse than that is the way that it bakes. Even after calibration, I cannot bake anything well in this oven. It is so small that it bakes everything really fast on the outside and not enough on the inside. I have tried moving the racks and reducing the temperature, but nothing seems to work. It would seem that the easy solution would be to replace the range. Not so easy, though. In order to create more space for a larger range, the dishwasher needs to be pulled out and some of the metal cabinets removed as well. All of this, of course, involves removing the stained, ugly counter top. The Solution: My big brother Scott, builder of fine homes. Everyone should have a dad or brother who can and is willing to help out with things like this. The Design: Thanks to some online (Yeah, DSL and FiOS!) and phone consultations with interior designer, Leanne Dunlap (not to mention friend and former roommate), we found a way to update the kitchen, retain, and even enhance its existing retro charm. It all came together when Leanne suggested black and white checkerboard tile flooring.

The appliances come first. They had to be stainless steel. Let’s look at the range. Maytag – double oven for bread and pies. I just like the look of this one, and Consumer Reports seemed to give Maytag decent ratings.
The Range hood will be a new addition.

Above the range hood, I am placing this Ikea shelf. I plan on hanging vintage diner coffee mugs from the hooks. I don’t have the mugs picked out yet, but I will know them when I see them!

The dishwasher: nothing fancy, but it has to be better than the one I have now.

A new cabinet for the sink will look something like this. I am not yet settled on a door design. Here is a link to the manufacturer if you would like to vote on a design. The color is definitely white, though. Prestige Cabinets. I am keeping the single bowl stainless steel sink and replacing the faucet. Scott said he hasn’t met a stainless steel sink yet that can’t be made like new with a little elbow grease. I am still looking at faucets.

The counter top shown above is close to the color I am looking at currently. After a great deal of research and comparison shopping, I am going with the very inexpensive prefab counter top from a “big box” store. I just could not justify the cost of the much more expensive solid surface counter tops.

The Icing on the Cake: Inspiration struck yesterday as I was doing some online shopping. I want to get a retro chrome diner bar stool.

If I can, I would also like to look at replacing my current microwave stand, but I am not sure it will fit in the budget right away. I would also like to say goodbye to the ugly 1970’s white track lighting that adorns my ceiling. I will be sure to take and show you the “makeover pictures”. Scott is looking at his calendar now to see when he can pencil me in. Don’t I have a great brother?

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! That's a big undertaking! But you will be excited when it's all finished. Can't wait for the pictures.

Laurie said...

I found your blog through Suzanne's and had to comment because I loooove 1950's stuff for my kitchen. I am jealous that your house is actually old. Mine is fairly new, so I have to fake the whole retro thing.

JennGrover said...

Well, if you move to Pittsburgh, you can have your pick of plenty of old houses! I love old houses and am having fun with mine.

The walls are plaster, not drywall, it has all hardwood floors, 2 fireplaces (neither of which work currently)glass doorknobs all the way through, plus lots of other little things that you would find only in old houses.

Laurie said...

Okay, you're stumbling me now. My husband likes the fresh new house thing - my dream house: a 1950's cape cod - big enough for a family of six.